Thursday 11 December 2014

Task 6b - Tools


Task 6b – Tools
Reader 6 introduces the concept of ‘inquiry tools’ which I will need to use in order to explore my emerging questions and line of inquiry. The reader illustrates clearly how I will capture “evidence from workplace using social science research tools, or methods, that allow you to use real life experiences and phenomena in a systematic and ethical manner.” Not only will my topic area extend my understanding about professional activities now but also in the future. These are tools which I will be able to use later on in my profession whether that is to develop my own practice or as a research project for my workplace and staff.

For Module 2 I have piloted a selection of these tools in order to outline the ones which will benefit my inquiry most. This ‘local experience’ should provide me with the knowledge and skills to execute a professional inquiry on a larger scale in my final module, module 3.

The reader examines 4 main research methods which have been used by past students and have become helpful in providing a common ground from which my inquiry can grow from. These 4 methods are:
Observation
Interviews
Focus Groups
Surveys
Additional-
Documents / Literature
The research I carry out can incorporate both qualitative research, which relies on words used to understand phenomena, and quantitative research, which can be translated into numerical data. As depicted in the reader by Punch (1998), “different questions require different methods to answer them.” This is why it is necessary for me to try out the tools which work best for my particular inquiry and not simply follow trend of my fellow Bapp colleagues or what has been done in the past. This experience is unique and essential to gather data to inform my inquiry.

The reader advises that in any inquiry design, importance is placed on the validity of the inquiry, “whether your methods, approaches and techniques actually relate to, or measure, the issues you have been exploring” (Blaxter et al., 2001, p. 221). I can validate my inquiry by asking the appropriate research questions and using the inquiry tools to acquire relevant information. From this I will then be able to analyse the data and provide logical conclusions and recommendations. Alongside validity is reliability. I must ensure that I gain consistent results so that “if another researcher were to look into the same questions in the same setting, they would come up with essentially the same results” (Blaxter et al., 2001, p. 221). Moving on from this is the generalizability of my inquiry design.  If I am able to generalise my inquiry it allows the research to have relevance beyond immediate objectives and the desirability to relate the situated knowledge obtained from my small scale inquiry to other situations.

I have undertaken a pilot survey/questionnaire which has helped me to prepare for my plan and decide whether the tool is valuable to my inquiry or not. A survey/questionnaire, if written precisely and purposefully, can provide a means of gathering data from a wide range of respondents in a comparatively short space of time. Despite the survey I tested only being a pilot I still wanted to consider who I gathered data from in order to provide a range of opinion. I incorporated this into my survey by asking the participant to state whether they are a Performer, Ex-performer, Teacher or Other profession this will allow me to provide a range of views and determine how many responses I will need from certain areas to validate my inquiry.  I must make a choice about the ‘sample’ whether that is a ‘purposive sample’ based on participants or a ‘positivistic sample’ which is representative as it identifies within a given population, a random sample that has the same characteristics as general population.

Here is a direct quote from the reader: “Purposive- choosing people who can answer the questions using defined criteria (qualitative) in order to look at particular or situated phenomena Representative- selection of the sample population (quantitative and mixed - i.e. the interviews might follow a survey) more ‘scientific’ - using a version of probability or non-probability sampling.”
This tool is efficient in providing Quantitative data but can also yield answers of a Qualitative nature, for example, inserting blank spaces to allow participants to express their own opinions and expand on their answers. I thought this was an important aspect so I integrated this into my pilot survey.

Although low response rates are often problematic as they affect validity and reliability of data, I hope to make my survey easily accessible, available on survey monkey through which input is fast and effective, and allow time for response ie not rush an improbable deadline for surveys to be returned by. This combined with the use of other tools should solve the problem of low response rate and enable me to collate data which is reliable and valid. It is common for a work-based practitioner to use a combination of tools to examine the same issue; this is known as ‘triangulation’. According to Bell (2005,) “this approach allows the comparison of data and the presentation of more cohesive and considered research findings in social research”.  
My questions need to be organised accurately and I also need to reflect upon the layout and presentation. With a successful survey, I will be able to compare results, identify trends and patterns and offer a descriptive analysis using words or in a numerical format. As the reader suggests referencing the responses numerically will enable me to easily cross check results. Again I must consider ethical practice and record anonymously keeping in line with my responsibility as work based researcher.

My second pilot tool is Observation; as researcher I was able to watch and analyse ‘events of interest.’ In terms of a predetermined structure, I used an observation sheet similar to the one I have previously used with my employer when as a trainee I had to observe lessons and analyse what I saw in the class under specific headings. For Example, How did the children respond to the activity? Would you say the children appeared to enjoy the lesson? How did the teacher use their voice to encourage and motivate the class? I was able to design a descriptive framework which if I then collected into enough data I could present as numerically either on a graph or grid. I also experimented with observer as participant; “their involvement in the research setting or field provides them with a distinctive position as a researcher, as that of an insider who has inside knowledge of the community of practice” (Costley et al. 2010).
Initially I thought this would change the behavioural nature of the children however after a few lessons of participation the children became used to me being there and from this was able to yield information about the interpersonal relations of those being observed. For example, “many observations include non-verbal responses from participants that extend the scope of communication being observed; this phenomenon has also been described as kinesics, the science that describes bodily movement in conjunction with other qualitative information.” Here the reader explains how observation can provide a rich source of information however I will need to remain as objective as possible to “eliminate” the issue of bias. I must also acknowledge the part bias has to play within the process. The accounts recorded will be influenced by my own personal and professional beliefs, co-workers with whom I interact, and workplace culture including documentation. I must reflect on my values and actions during the entire research process and finalisation of my inquiry. Reader 6 notes that “This ability to critically reflect on values, actions and position in relation to the research (reflexivity) is a way of recognising and acknowledging the researcher’s involvement in the research process.” Reflexivity is a term used in social science to suggest that the researcher needs to try and be 'as objective as possible' about the inevitably subjective practice of research.

Unfortunately, observation can be very time consuming, attending sessions and if an observer as participant, writing up notes and evaluations after the class. I am planning to fit these observations within my working hours however if there is a good opportunity to observe an unscheduled class I will take the time and use the opportunity to do so. I must first respond sensitively and appropriately to issues of ethics, permission and confidentiality, in particular when it is not a scheduled observation, I will need to ensure every issue is addressed and permission is granted before commencing.
Although I have not specifically trialled a focus group, I have experienced the interaction achievable through my SIG and the outcomes obtainable through sharing ideas, interests and opinions. I feel as though a focus group would allow me to interact with students/staff on a more personal level and make them feel comfortable enough to share their thoughts whether positive or negative. Sometimes writing down your opinions seems like your opinion at that time has been documented and is black and white whereas in a focus groups if there are changing and developing opinions we can discuss them together and talk about the factors which affect them on a daily basis. Although putting a group together can be time consuming and not all invited participants will be willing to attend, I think with persistence and good organisational skills from my behalf, I will be able to achieve what I set out to do. Denscombe (2007) points out that I must act as facilitator and control the discussions to initiate ‘trigger’ questions in order to elicit the data needed for research. In support of this idea, Bell raises the issue that strong personalities can “also influence”, and in some cases “actually take over”; being aware of this will be very important as I still want individual opinions and not opinions which have been forced upon the group by an overpowering individual. Due to the fact there will be multiple voices I must keep all quotes and opinions confidential and non-identitive. In a sense I have experienced a form of focus group within our staffroom. We often have discussions about emerging topics and question how students are in themselves and in their level of work. It is an interesting to way to see how students which may behave and perform well in your class but not so well in others and vice versa. Sometimes it is discussed why this might be the case which is a useful topic of conversation for my inquiry! With my inquiry in mind I will encourage further staff room chats!

In terms of formed consent, for the pilot they are simply thought about however I must be aware that these are required for my practical inquiry.

Ultimately, it will be vital that I develop a real and sustained interest in my inquiry topic and that I embed it into my practice. The tools are a means of self-discovery while obtaining practice based knowledge and understanding that is related to other professionals in my field.

No comments:

Post a Comment